Emergency preparedness plans for businesses should include financial records

IRS Tax Tip 2024-44, May 3, 2024

When business owners put together an emergency preparedness plan, it should include copies of vital records and financial information.

Here are some things everyone can do to help protect their financial records.

Update emergency preparedness plan annually

Personal and business situations are constantly evolving, so taxpayers should review their emergency preparedness plan annually. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Ready.gov website has resources and checklists to help people put together their emergency preparedness plan.

Create electronic copies of documents

Taxpayers should keep important documents in a safe place. This includes bank statements, tax returns and insurance policies. This is especially easy now since many financial institutions provide statements and documents electronically. If original documents are available only on paper, taxpayers can use a scanner and save them on a USB flash drive or in the cloud.

Document valuables

Documenting valuables by taking pictures or videoing them before disaster strikes makes it easier to claim insurance and tax benefits. IRS.gov has a disaster loss workbook that can help taxpayers compile a room-by-room list of belongings.

Tax relief available for disaster situations

Information on disaster assistance and emergency relief for individuals and businesses is available at IRS.gov. Taxpayers should also review Publication 547, Casualties, Disasters and Thefts.

Taxpayers who live in a federally declared disaster area can visit Around the nation on IRS.gov and click on their state to review the available disaster tax relief. Those who live in counties qualifying for disaster relief receive automatic filing and payment postponements for many currently due tax returns and don't need to contact the agency to get relief.

People with disaster-related questions can call the IRS Special Services Hotline at 866-562-5227 to speak with an IRS specialist trained to handle disaster issues.

If people have lost their tax documents, they can order tax transcripts or request copies of previously filed tax returns and attachments through Get Transcript on IRS.gov, by filing Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return or by calling 800-908-9946.

More information:

Subscribe to IRS tax tips