What this notice is about
You owe on an unpaid shared responsibility payment.
What you need to do
- Read your notice carefully. It explains how much you owe and how to pay it.
- Pay the amount you owe by the due date on the notice.
- Make a payment plan if you can't pay the full amount you owe.
- Contact us if you disagree.
You may want to
Frequently asked questions
It's the assessed payment for not having minimum essential health coverage for you and, if applicable, your dependents per Internal Revenue Code Section 5000A - Individual shared responsibility payment.
You can apply for a payment plan, or by calling us at the toll-free number on the top right corner of your notice.
Call us at the toll-free number on the top right corner of your notice. Please have your paperwork (such as cancelled checks, amended return, etc.) ready when you call.
Not if you pay the full amount you owe by the date on the payment coupon. However, interest accrues on the unpaid amount after that date.
No. The law prohibits us from using liens or levies to collect any individual SRP. However, if you owe an SRP we may offset that liability against any tax refund that may be due to you.
- Form 656-B, Offer in Compromise Booklet (PDF)
- Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request (PDF)
- Publication 594, The IRS Collection Process (PDF)
- Notice 746, Information About Your Notice, Penalty and Interest (PDF)
Tips for next year
Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.
- Puede usted autorizar a un representante para comunicarse con el IRS en su nombre.
- Vea si usted califica para recibir ayuda de las Clínicas para Contribuyentes de Bajos Recursos (en inglés).
- Si no puede encontrar lo que necesita en línea, llame al número del IRS en la parte superior de su aviso o carta.