Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding Your CP14H Notice

We sent you this notice because you owe money on an unpaid shared responsibility payment.


What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully -- it explains how much you owe and how to pay it.
  • Pay the amount you owe by the date the notice asks.
  • Make a payment plan if you can't pay the full amount you owe.
  • Contact us if you disagree.

You may want to

Answers to Common Questions

What is the shared responsibility payment?

The shared responsibility payment (SRP) amount that you owe is the assessed payment for not having minimum essential health coverage for you and, if applicable, your dependents per Internal Revenue Code Section 5000A - Individual shared responsibility payment.

What happens if I can't pay what I owe?

You can make a payment plan if you can't pay the full amount you owe.

How can I make a payment plan?

Call us at the toll free number on the top right corner of your notice to talk about payment plans, or learn more about them.

What should I do if I disagree with the notice?

Call us at the toll free number on the top right corner of your notice. Please have your paperwork (such as cancelled checks, amended return, etc.) ready when you call.

Am I charged interest on the money I owe?

Yes, interest will continue to be added if you don’t pay the full amount you owe by the date on the payment coupon.

Will I receive a penalty if I can't pay the full amount?

No. The law prohibits the IRS from using liens or levies to collect any individual shared responsibility payment. However, if you owe a shared responsibility payment, the IRS may offset that liability against any tax refund that may be due to you.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help