Coronavirus (COVID-19) Tax Relief
IRS is offering coronavirus tax relief (check back for frequent updates).
Parents can claim certain tax credits or deductions depending on their filing status.
Read our publication about the tax rules.
Claiming Dependents and Filing Status
- Determine your filing status with the Interactive Tax Assistant
- Find out if you can claim a child or relative as a dependent (Interactive Tool)
- File Form 8332, Release/Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption for Child by Custodial Parent
Child Tax Credits
- Learn about the Child and Dependent Care Credit
- Read how to determine the Child Tax Credit and Credit for Other Dependents
- Find out if you qualify for the Adoption Credit
Education Tax Benefits
- Find tax benefits for education
- Get tax information for students
- Find out if all or part of a scholarship or grant is tax free
- Find tax rules and forms to report income earned by a child or dependent
- File Form 8615, Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income
- File Form 8814, Parents’ Election to Report Child’s Interest and Dividends
Learn how life events can affect the tax you owe and your refund.
- Find out if child support and alimony payments are taxable income (FAQ)
- Learn about tax rules that apply if you are divorced
- Use the Tax Withholding Estimator to make sure the right amount is withheld from your pay
Family Caregivers and Household Employees
Review the Household Employer's Tax Guide to see if you need to pay federal employment tax for a family caregiver, babysitter, nanny, or housekeeper.