Members of the U.S. Armed Forces have special tax situations and benefits. Understand how that affects you and your taxes.
Current and Former Military
- Publication 3, Armed Force’s Tax Guide (for active and reserve military only)
- Tax breaks for you and your family
- IRS Free File
- MilTax, a Department of Defense program that generally offers free return preparation and e-filing software for all military members, with no income limit
- Automatic extensions of your filing deadline
- Special application of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits excluded from taxable income
- Information for Veterans
If you serve in one of the combat zones recognized by the IRS, you may be able to exclude combat income from taxation. You may also want to see if special EITC rules apply that could lead to a larger refund.
If you are a disabled veteran your disability payment may qualify for certain tax exclusions. You may also be eligible to claim a federal tax refund if you received: