Members of the U.S. Armed Forces have special tax situations and benefits. Understand how that affects you and your taxes.
Current and Former Military
- Publication 3, Armed Force’s Tax Guide (for active and reserve military only)
- Tax breaks for you and your family
- Free tax return preparation for qualifying taxpayers by volunteers
- IRS Free File
- Miltax, a Department of Defense program that generally offers free return preparation and e-filing software for all military members, with no income limit
- Special application of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits excluded from taxable income
- Information for Veterans
If you serve in one of the combat zones recognized by the IRS, you may qualify for certain exemptions and other benefits.
- Automatic extensions of your filing deadline
- Excluding combat income from taxation
- Amended return filing for combat-injured disabled veterans
If you are a disabled veteran your disability payment may qualify for certain tax exclusions. You may also be eligible to claim a federal tax refund if you received: