Read about tax situations that apply specifically to senior citizens and retirees.
Determine if Your Retirement Income is Taxable
Social Security and Railroad Retirement Benefits
- Determine if these benefits are taxable
- Review the tax rules
- Request your Social Security benefit statement
Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)
- Get answers about distributions and withdrawals
- Learn the rules for pensions and annuity withholding
- Review our tax guidance
- Find out if net investment income tax applies to you
Get Ready to File
File Your Taxes
- Prepare and electronically file your taxes for free using the IRS Free File program.
- Use Form 1040-SR, U.S. Tax Return for Seniors (PDF), optional for seniors, if you want to file a paper return.
Credits and Deductions
- Determine your standard deduction
- Apply for the Health Coverage Tax Credit
- See if you qualify for the elderly or disabled tax credit