Are my wages exempt from federal income tax withholding?


ITA home

This interview will help you determine if your wages are exempt from federal income tax withholding.

Information you'll need

  • Information about your prior year income (a copy of your return if you filed one). 
  • An estimate of your income for the current year.
  • If you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return, you will need an estimate of your wages for this year and the total amount of unearned income.

    Unearned income includes:
  • Investment type income such as taxable interest, ordinary dividends, and capital gain distributions
  • Unemployment compensation, taxable social security benefits, pensions, annuities, cancellation of debt, and distributions of unearned income from a trust

Note: This tool doesn’t cover claiming exemption on foreign earned income eligible for the exclusion provided by Internal Revenue Code section 911. For information on claiming that exclusion, see Form 673, Statement for Claiming Exemption From Withholding on Foreign Earned Income Eligible for the Exclusions Provided by Section 911.


Conclusions are based on information provided by you in response to the questions you answered. Answers do not constitute written advice in response to a specific written request of the taxpayer within the meaning of section 6404(f) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Estimated completion time: 10 minutes

Please note: After 30 minutes of inactivity, you'll be forced to start over.

Caution: Using the "Back" button within the ITA tool could cause an application error.