Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns
We continue to process electronic and paper tax returns, issue refunds, and accept payments. We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.
Do not file a second tax return or call the IRS.
Read about tax situations that apply specifically to senior citizens and retirees.
Determine if Your Retirement Income is Taxable
Social Security and Railroad Retirement Benefits
- Determine if these benefits are taxable
- Review the tax rules
- Request your Social Security benefit statement
Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)
- Coronavirus-related relief for retirement plans and IRAs
- Get answers about distributions and withdrawals
- Learn the rules for pensions and annuity withholding
- Review our tax guidance
- Find out if net investment income tax applies to you
Get Ready to File
File Your Taxes
- Prepare and electronically file your taxes for free using the IRS Free File program
- Taxpayers 65 and older may choose to use paper Form 1040-SR, U.S. Tax Return for Seniors (PDF)
Credits and Deductions
- Determine your standard deduction
- Apply for the Health Coverage Tax Credit
- See if you qualify for the Credit for the Elderly or Disabled