Understanding your CP2000 notice


What this notice is about

The income or payment information we received from third parties, such as employers or financial institutions, doesn't match the information you reported on your tax return. This discrepancy may cause an increase or decrease in your tax or may not change it at all. The notice explains what information we used to determine the proposed changes to your tax return.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully. Follow the instructions in your notice. It explains the information we received and how it affects your tax return.
  • Provide a timely response. If you need additional time to respond, you can request an extension by mailing or faxing in the request, or by calling the toll-free number shown on the notice.
  • Complete the notice response form and state whether you agree or disagree with the notice. The response form explains what actions to take. (Your specific notice may not have a response form. In that case, the notice will have instructions on what to do). You can submit your response by:
    • Mail using the return address on the enclosed envelope, or
    • Fax your documents to the fax number in the notice using either a fax machine or an online fax service. Protect yourself when sending digital data by understanding the fax service’s privacy and security policies.
  • If you agree with the proposed changes, follow the instructions to sign the response form. We require both spouses' signatures if you filed married filing jointly.
  • If you disagree or the information reported to us is incorrect:
    • Complete and return the response form. Provide a signed statement explaining the reason you disagree and supply any documentation, such as a corrected W-2, 1099, or missing forms, to support your statement.
    • Contact the business or person who reported the information. Ask them for a corrected income document or a statement to support the reason it is incorrect, then send us a copy with your response.
    • If the income in question was later deemed nontaxable due to a state relief payment, financial assistance allocated under the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Acts, or similar language, provide a signed statement with the response form.
Respond by the due date shown in the notice. If you don't respond, we’ll send you a Statutory Notice of Deficiency followed by a bill for the proposed amount due.

You may want to

Frequently asked questions

We received information from a third party, such as employers or financial institutions, which doesn't match the information you reported on your tax return.

No, the notice is a proposal and informs you of a discrepancy between the information we received, and the information reported on your tax return. If the discrepancy remains unresolved, or we don’t receive a response to the notice, you may receive a subsequent notice and a bill at a later date.

Respond timely. Complete and return the notice response form by the due date shown in the notice. (Follow the notice instructions if your notice doesn't have a response form.)

You can complete and send Form 14039, Identity Theft AffidavitPDF, along with the completed response form. You can also go to our identity theft central webpage to find out more about what you can do.

Yes, you can call us. Call volumes may be high, and it could take some time to reach a representative. We can generally accept your information over the phone for incorrectly reported information. If the information you provide over the phone isn't enough to resolve all the issues, you should mail or fax a signed statement explaining your disagreement and include any documentation that supports your position.

You don't need to file an amended tax return. However, if the information displayed in the CP2000 notice is correct, and you have additional income, credits or expenses to report, you may want to submit a completed Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, and return it with a completed response form. If you choose to file an amended tax return, write "CP2000" on top of your return and attach it behind your completed response form. To ensure the information is sent to the proper area for processing, mail or fax the information to the address or fax number shown on the notice.

If you agree with our notice, follow the instructions to sign and return the response form in the envelope provided or fax it to the number shown on the notice. We require both spouses' signatures if you filed married filing jointly.

You can get help at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.

You can request a return transcript on our Get Transcript page. You can also get one by calling our automated phone application at 800-908-9946 or by completing and sending us a Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax ReturnPDF.

If you used a tax preparer, they may be able to give you a copy of your return. Otherwise, you can get a copy of your return by completing and sending us a Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax ReturnPDF. We charge a fee for tax return copies.

IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers are located throughout the country. Our website has directions on how to find the center nearest to you.

Our computer systems match the information you report on your tax return to information reported to IRS by third parties, such as, financial institutions, employers, and other businesses. Due to the complexity of the matching process, it can take months to complete.

Yes, interest accrues on your unpaid balance until you pay it in full.

Our website has information about payment options. Ensure you respond to the notice timely even if you pay online or set up a payment plan.

Visit our website for information about online payment options, including pre-assessed installment and payment agreements, payroll deductions, credit card payments, direct debit payments and applicable fees.

If you agree and would like to apply for an installment agreement plan by mail, send your signed response form and a completed Form 9465, Installment Agreement RequestPDF.

Tips for next year

You can avoid future problems by:

  • Keeping accurate and full records.
  • Waiting until you get all your income statements before filing your tax return.
  • Checking the documents you receive from your employer, mortgage company, bank, or other sources of income (Forms W-2s, 1098s, 1099s, etc.) to make sure they're correct.
  • Including all your income on your tax return.
  • Following the instructions on how to report income, expenses and deductions.
  • Filing an amended tax return for any information you receive after you've filed your return.

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions you may qualify for. In many cases, you can file for free. Learn more about how to file electronically.

Need help?


IRS Letter CP2000: Proposed Changes to Your Tax Return

Transcript   ASL