IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding Your CP2000 Notice

The income and/or payment information we have on file doesn’t match the information you reported on your tax return. This could affect your tax return; it may cause an increase or decrease in your tax, or may not change it at all.

Beware of Fake IRS Tax Bill Notices

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully—it explains the information we received and how it affects your tax return.
  • Complete the notice response form whether or not you agree or disagree with the notice, the response form explains what actions to take. (Your specific notice may not have a response form. In that case, the notice will have instructions on what to do).
  • Contact the business or person reporting the information, if it is wrong. Ask them to correct it, and then provide the corrected information to us.

You may want to…

Answers to Common Questions

Why did I receive the notice?
We received information from a third party that doesn’t match the information you reported on your tax return.

Is the notice a bill?
No. It informs you about the information we’ve received and how it affects your tax.

What do I need to do?
Complete the notice response form. (Follow the notice instructions if your notice doesn’t have a response form.)

What do I do if the information is wrong or if I disagree?
The notice response form has instructions on what to do if the new information is wrong. You also may want to contact whoever reported the information and ask them to correct it.

The information is wrong because someone else is using my name and social security number. What can I do?
Call us and let us know. You also can use this link to go to our Identity theft information webpage to find out more about what you can do.

I reported the information but I reported it incorrectly. Can I call you to correct my return?
We can accept your information over the phone for incorrectly reported information as long as the mistake didn't increase or decrease your tax.

Do I need to amend my return?
If the information displayed in the CP2000 notice is correct, you don't need to amend your return unless you have additional income, credits or expenses to report. If you agree with our notice, follow the instructions to sign the response page and return it to us in the envelope provided.

If you have additional income, credits or expenses to report, you may want to complete and submit a Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. You can receive help at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.

I want to check a copy of my original return. I don’t have one. How can I get one?
You can request a return transcript on our ”Get Transcript” page. You can also get one by calling our automated phone application at 1-800-908-9946 or by completing and sending us a Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.

If a transcript won’t do, ask for a copy of your return from your tax preparer if you used one. Otherwise, you can get a copy of your return by completing and sending us a Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return. We charge a fee for tax return copies.

How can I find an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center?
We have centers located throughout the country. Our website has directions on how to find the center nearest to you.

Why did it take you so long to contact me about this matter?
Our computer systems match the information you report on your tax return with information reported by employers, banks, businesses, and others. This matching takes several months to complete.

The notice says my taxes will increase. Will I be charged interest on the money I owe?
Yes, interest accrues on your unpaid balance until you pay it in full.

What happens if I can’t pay the full amount I owe?
You can make a payment plan with us when you can’t pay the full amount you owe.

How can I make a payment plan?
Call us at the toll free number on the top right corner of your notice to talk about payment plans or learn more about them at this web page.

Tips for next year

You can avoid future problems by:

  • keeping accurate and full records
  • waiting until you get all of your income statements before filing your tax return
  • checking the records you get from your employer, mortgage company, bank, or other sources of income (W-2s, 1098s, 1099s, etc.) to make sure they're correct
  • including all your income on your tax return
  • following the instructions on how to report income, expenses and deductions
  • filing an amended tax return for any information you receive after you’ve filed your return

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions you may qualify for. In many cases, you can file for free. Learn more about how to file electronically here.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 26-Sep-2016