Get help with tax debt

If you owe a tax debt and can't pay all or part of it, the IRS can help. You have options to resolve your tax bill.

Can you pay your balance now? Pay in full.

If you can pay part of your balance

Pay what you can now to help avoid interest and penalties. Then choose one of these options:

Pay over time

Apply for a payment plan – also called an installment or online payment agreement – to pay off your balance over time. Fees may apply.

Apply online for a payment plan.

Offer in compromise

An offer in compromise lets you settle your tax debt for less than you owe. This used to be called the Fresh Start program.

See if you're eligible for an offer in compromise.

If you can't pay anything now

Ask us to delay collection

If you can't afford to pay because of your financial condition, you can ask us to temporarily delay collection.

If you disagree with the information on your tax bill

Call the number on the notice or visit your local IRS office.

Be sure to have a copy of the bill and any tax returns, cancelled checks or other records to help us understand why you believe your bill is wrong.

If we find that you're right, we'll adjust your account and, if necessary, send a revised bill.

Request spouse relief

If your spouse made errors on your joint tax return and you didn't know about it, you may qualify for tax relief for spouses.

If you're in bankruptcy

Please let us know immediately. We may temporarily stop collection. Call the number on your bill or 800-973-0424.

Have this information ready: location of court, bankruptcy date, chapter and bankruptcy number.

If you don't pay the amount due or contact us

We may take collection actions.

Plan for next year

You should pay taxes as you earn or receive income during the year. You can do this by having your employer withhold tax from your wages or by making estimated tax payments:

IRS Tax Withholding Estimator

Estimated taxes

Get help

If you need help, here are options:

Your account

Set up a payment plan, view your balance or get your transcript in your account. You may be offered live chat.

QR code on your notice

If your notice has a QR code, scan it to find information you need to take care of your account.

Document Upload Tool

You can upload documents in response to an IRS notice, phone conversation or in-person visit.


Call the phone number on your notice. Or contact 833-678-7020. You may be offered a call-back option, so you don't have to wait on hold.

In-person help

Get in-person help at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center or at a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.

Taxpayer Advocate Service

The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the IRS. The service protects your rights under the Taxpayer Bill of Rights, helps you resolve problems with the IRS and recommends changes that will prevent the problems.

Third-party authorization

You can authorize someone to contact the IRS with you or on your behalf.

Avoid scams

The IRS won't call, text or contact you via social media to demand immediate tax payment.

We begin with a letter in the mail and explain how you can appeal or question what you owe. If you're unsure whether you owe money to the IRS, you can view your tax account information on

Beware of phone scams. Criminals impersonate IRS employees and call taxpayers in aggressive and sophisticated ways. Imposters claim to be IRS employees and sound very convincing.

Some companies appear to be the IRS or offer to help you settle tax debt through the Fresh Start program. Learn how to settle your debt with the IRS on your own.