Understanding your CP2057 notice


What this notice is about

You may need to file an amended return. We've received information not reported on your tax return.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully. It will explain the information we received.
  • File an amended tax returnPDF if the information is correct.
  • If you believe the information is wrong, contact the business or person reporting the information and ask them to correct it.

You may want to

  • Order a tax transcript of your tax return.
  • Make sure your other tax returns aren't missing the same information.
  • Contact us with any unanswered questions you have.
  • Keep a copy of your notice for your files.

Frequently asked questions

You need to amend your return if the third-party information we received is correct.

No. Don't file an amended tax return only to correct third-party information.

Complete Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax ReturnPDF, as soon as possible. Find tax forms or publications by visiting IRS.gov/forms or calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

  • Send your completed Form 1040-X to the address based on the state you reside in (found in the instructions for Form 1040-X).
  • You can also electronically file your Form 1040-X.

You don't have to amend your tax return if the information is wrong. Instead, contact whoever reported the wrong information and ask them to correct it. You don't need to contact us.

We can accept your information over the phone for incorrectly reported information if the mistake didn't increase or decrease your tax. However, you should file an amended tax return if you didn't report the information, or misreported it in a way that increased or decreased your tax.

See our identity theft information to find out what you can do. You also should call us and let us know.

We match the information you report on your tax return with information reported by employers, banks, businesses, and others. This matching takes several months to complete.

If you received a Form 1099-G or 1099-MISC for a non-taxable relief payment there is no action required. If there has been a determination that the payment is taxable, complete Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, as soon as possible. To determine the taxability of your payment, go to the state website of where you reside for more information.

Helpful information

Tips for next year

  • Keep accurate and full records
  • Wait until you get all of your income statements to file your tax return
  • Check the documents you get from your employer, mortgage company, bank, or other sources of income (W-2s, 1098s, 1099s, etc.) to make sure they're correct
  • Include all your income on your tax return
  • Follow the instructions on how to report income, expenses, and deductions
  • File an amended tax return for any information you receive after you've filed your return

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about how to file electronically.

Need help?