Understanding your CP2057 Notice

You need to file an amended return. We've received information not reported on your tax return.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully. It will explain the information we received.
  • File an amended return if the information is correct.
  • If you believe the information is wrong, contact the business or person reporting the information and ask them to correct it.

You may want to

  • Order a transcript of your return.
  • Make sure your other returns aren't missing the same information.
  • Contact us with any unanswered questions you have.
  • Keep a copy of your notice for your files.

Answers to common questions

What do I need to do?
You need to amend your return if the information we received is correct.

Do I have to amend my return if the information is wrong?
No. Don't file an amended return.

How do I amend my return?
Use the information in the notice to amend your return. Compare it against a copy of your original return. Report the difference or change on Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. You can receive help at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.

How can I find an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center?
We have centers located throughout the country. Find the center nearest to you.

I don't have a copy of my original return to help me amend it. What can I do?

  • You can order a transcript of your return. You also can get one by completing and sending us a Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.
  • You can get a copy of your return by completing and sending us a Form 4506. We charge a fee for return requests.
  • If an accountant or some other person prepared your return, you could ask them for a copy.

What do I do if the information is wrong?
You don't have to amend your return if the information is wrong. Instead, contact whoever reported the wrong information and ask them to correct it. You don't need to contact us.

Should I contact you to correct wrong information?
You don't have to contact us to explain why the information is wrong. The payer will report the correct information to us.

I reported the information but I reported it incorrectly. Can I call you to correct my return?
We can accept your information over the phone for incorrectly reported information as long as the mistake didn't increase or decrease your tax. However, you should file an amended return if you didn't report the information, or misreported it in a way that increased or decreased your tax.

The information is wrong because someone else is using my name and Social Security number. What can I do?
See our Identity theft information to find out what you can do. You also should call us and let us know.

Why did it take you so long to contact me about this matter?
We match the information you report on your tax return with information reported by employers, banks, businesses, and others. This matching takes several months to complete.

Tips for next year

You can avoid future problems by:

  • keeping accurate and full records
  • waiting until you get all of your income statements to file your tax return
  • checking the documents you get from your employer, mortgage company, bank, or other sources of income (W-2s, 1098s, 1099s, etc.) to make sure they're correct
  • including all your income on your tax return
  • following the instructions on how to report income, expenses, and deductions
  • filing an amended tax return for any information you receive after you've filed your return

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about how to file electronically.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

Need Help?

  • You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
  • If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.