ITG FAQ # 11 Answer-Are there any information reporting requirements applicable to tax-exempt bonds issued by tribal governments?


Yes. Tribal governments issuing tax-exempt bonds to finance an essential governmental function must file either Form 8038-G PDF, Information Return for Tax-Exempt Governmental Obligations, or Form 8038-GC PDF, Information Return for Small Tax-Exempt Governmental Bond Issues, Leases, and Installment Sales. Tribal governments issuing tax-exempt bonds to finance qualified manufacturing facilities must file Form 8038 PDF, Information Return for Tax-Exempt Private Activity Bond Issues. Additionally, tribal governments may need to periodically file Form 8038-T PDF, Arbitrage Rebate and Penalty in Lieu of Arbitrage Rebate, and Form 8038-R PDF, Request for Recovery of Overpayments Under Arbitrage Rebate Provisions, for matters related to the arbitrage and rebate requirements under Section 148. 

Return to List of FAQs