IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

ITG FAQ #17 Answer-Are tribes required to have an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to gain federal recognition?

No. However, federally recognized tribes enjoy certain exemptions from excise tax, and have other benefits much like state governments under IRC section 7871. In order to utilize these benefits, an Employer Identification Number (EIN) may be required. The same applies to subdivisions of tribal governments.

Return to List of FAQs

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 11-Oct-2016