- About this guide
- Application overview
- Information about specific technologies, issues, and guidance
This guide is intended to assist individuals with disabilities in their use of the IRS2Go mobile application. The guide will provide direction in accessing the features available in IRS2Go using specific technologies, including native screen readers (VoiceOver for iOS and iPadOS, and TalkBack for Android), and an external keyboard.
IRS2Go is a mobile application for iOS, iPadOS, and Android phones and tablets. It lets taxpayers to check the status of their tax refund, make a payment, find free tax preparation assistance, sign up for helpful tax tips, generate a login security code, access IRS social media channels.
Users can download the app by searching for “IRS2Go” in their device’s official app store or by following app store links at https://www.irs.gov/irs2go.
Both iOS and Android Applications will have the same features and functionality.
In addition to built-in mobile screen readers (VoiceOver and TalkBack) and keyboards, the application can be used with an external keyboard. The application works best with the native built-in mobile keyboards.
Here is the guidance for standard Actions and Commands when using screen readers with the external keyboard.
VoiceOver Actions and Commands for iOS and iPadOS with external keyboard:
|Find the next heading||VO - Command - H|
|Find the previous heading||VO - Command - Shift - H|
|Find the next control||VO - Command - J|
|Find the previous control||SHIFT + TAB|
|Find the next Table||VO - Command - T|
|Find the previous Table||VO - Command - Shift - T|
|Find the next Link||VO - Command - L|
|Find the previous Link||VO - Command - Shift - L|
|Find the next Paragraph||VO - Shift - Page Down|
|Find the previous Paragraph||VO - Shift - Page Up|
|Read the next Sentence||VO - Command - Page Down|
|Read the next Line||VO - Down Arrow|
|Read the previous Line||VO - Up Arrow|
|Read everything visible in the window or the Dock, or on your desktop, depending on your location||VO - Shift - W|
IRS2Go has the following known accessibility issues on iOS and iPadOS:
External keyboard navigation:
When navigating with an external keyboard, the following issues have been observed:
- On the Free Tax Prep Site Locator screen, there is a frequent keyboard trap once the user sets focus to the Search field. Unable to navigate the location lists with VO+ arrow or Tab keys.
- Screen titles are announced the first time the user is interacting with the screen. After the initial interaction with the screen, the user needs to swipe backwards to get to the page content as the focus is set to the bottom of the screen.
- For the fields that use a numeric keyboard, the Back and Right arrows of the keyboard are announced as "possibly". This issue applies specifically to iOS version 13.
- On the “Pay by Cards” screen, the rotor does not find headings with the names of the card processing websites or the “Fees and Information.” This is related to a Tab view loaded each time the user scrolls down/up and only visible headings are exposed to a screen reader.
TalkBack Actions and Commands for Android devices with external keyboard:
|Move to next item||Alt + Shift + Right arrow|
|Move to previous item: Alt + Shift + Left arrow||Alt + Shift + Left arrow|
|Move to first item||Alt + Shift + Up arrow|
|Move to last item||Alt + Shift + Down arrow|
|Click focused element||Alt + Shift + Enter|
|Back||Alt + Shift + Backspace|
|Home||Alt + Shift + H|
|Recent apps/Overview||Alt + Shift + R|
|Notifications||Alt + Shift + N|
|Search the screen||Alt + Shift + / (forward slash)|
|Next navigation setting||Alt + Shift + Equals (=)|
|Previous navigation setting||Alt + Shift + Minus (-)|
|Open global context menu||Alt + Shift + G|
|Open local context menu||Alt + Shift + L|
|Stop TalkBack speech||Control|
|Pause or resume TalkBack||Alt + Shift + Z|
IRS2Go has the following known accessibility issues on Android:
- When navigating with an external keyboard, there is loss of focus on all screens before the Refund tab and Security tab. Users need to tab once before the visible focus is seen.
- On some screens, focus may go to the top of the screen instead of the previously selected control when navigating backwards.
- Navigation tabs are missing a Role that is programmatically determinable. The workaround for the missing bottom navigation Role is provided in the form of the hints that are given to the user to double tap on a tab to go to the screen content.
Refund Status screen:
- The page title is not announced by a screen reader when the user swipes to the Refund Status tab, and the focus remains on the navigation tabs.
- When the user types the first digit in the SSN number field, Talkback reads "Maximum length reached". However, this does not prevent the user to enter all digits correctly.
- TalkBack announces there are 6 items in the Filing Status dropdown list which only contains 5 items. Talkbacks counts the empty placeholder for the dropdown menu. The workaround for this issue is to swipe through all the items that are part of the dropdown in order to hear the 5 items and make a selection of the appropriate Filing Status.
Refund Status results screen:
- When the user tries to update/correct the SSN number, the cursor stays at the beginning of the field. The workaround for this issue: Open Local Context Menu by swiping top right. Select Edit options>Move Cursor to end and then use Backspace to delete each digit.
Free Tax Prep Site Locator Details screen:
- When viewing location details for a free tax preparation site location, selecting the phone number does not open the keypad.
- When viewing location details for a free tax preparation site location, headings are not used to describe the content.