IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding Your CP284 Notice

We approved your Form 1128, Application to Adopt, Change, or Retain a Tax Year.

What you need to do

  • Timely file a short period annual return for the tax year ending that is shown on Form 1128.
  • Keep this notice for your records.

You may want to

Call 1-800-829-3676 (1-800-TAX-FORM) to order forms and publications or visit our website,, to download them.

Answers to Common Questions

What is Form 1128?
When approved, this form allows a taxpayer to change the date on which they close their tax year. Partnerships, S corporations, personal service corporations (PSCs), or trusts may be required to file the form to adopt or retain a certain tax year.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 07-Dec-2014

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)



How to get help

  • Call the 1-800, 1-866 or 1-888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
  • Authorize someone (e.g., accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.