Understanding Your CP54E Notice
Your tax return shows a different name and/or ID number from the information we have for your account. Please provide the requested information.
What you need to do
- Review your identifying information shown on this notice and compare it to your most recent social security card or taxpayer ID card.
- Complete the CP54 response form to explain the discrepancies.
- Include copies of documents to substantiate your name and identifying number.
You may want to
- Contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) to update your records if any of the following occurred:
- you recently married and are using your spouse’s last name and have not already contacted SSA,
- you legally changed your name without contacting SSA,
- or your social security number and/or name are different than on your social security card.
Answers to Common Questions
Q. I sent you my information. When will I get my refund?
A. Once we receive your response form and verify the information you provided, you should receive your refund in 4 to 6 weeks. If you don’t hear from us after 4 to 6 weeks, call our “Where’s My Refund?” toll free line at 1-800-829-1954 to check on the status of your refund.
Tips for next year
Make sure you file using your name and taxpayer ID number as they appear on your social security card or taxpayer ID card. Also, make sure this information is correct on any payments you send to the IRS.