IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding Your CP54Q Notice

Your tax return shows a different name and/or ID number from the information we have on file for you or from the information from the Social Security Administration (SSA).
We previously sent you a notice asking you to provide us some updated information. We still haven’t received a response from you.

What you need to do

  • Review your identifying information shown on this notice and compare it to your most recent social security card or taxpayer ID card.
  • Complete the CP54 response form to explain the discrepancies.
  • Include copies of documents to substantiate your name and identifying number.

You may want to

  • Contact the SSA to update your records if any of the following occurred:
    • you recently married and are using your spouse’s last name and have not already contacted SSA,
    • you legally changed your name without contacting SSA, or
    • your social security number (SSN) and/or name are different than on your social security card.


Answers to Common Questions

Q. I sent you my information. When will I get my refund?

A. Once we receive your response form and verify the information you provided, you should receive your refund in 4 to 6 weeks. If you don’t hear from us after 4 to 6 weeks, call our “Where’s My Refund?” toll free line at 1-800-829-1954 to check on the status of your refund.

Tips for next year

Make sure you file using your name and taxpayer ID number as they appear on your social security card or taxpayer ID card.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 23-Jan-2015

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)



How to get help

  • Call the 1-800, 1-866 or 1-888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
  • Authorize someone (e.g., accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.