IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding your CP120 Notice

You filed a tax-exempt return, but our records don't show you are tax-exempt.

What you need to do

  • Mail or fax us a copy of the letter we provided you or your parent organization recognizing your tax exempt status.
  • Apply for tax exempt status by completing and submitting the appropriate application and fee.
  • Mail the application and appropriate fee to the address on your notice.

You may want to...

Answers to Common Questions

What if I don't qualify or don't want to apply for tax-exempt status?
You should complete the appropriate federal income tax form.

What if I believe I am tax-exempt and not required to submit an application?
You must show on your annual return the subsection under which you're claiming to be tax-exempt.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 21-Jan-2015

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)



How to get help

  • Call the 1-800, 1-866 or 1-888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
  • Authorize someone (e.g., accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.