IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Exempt Organizations e-File - Return Extensions

How do I electronically file for an extension?

Form 8868 Parts I and II can now both be filed electronically or on paper.  You must use an authorized e-file provider to file Form 8868 electronically.

The extension form cannot be e-mailed to the IRS.   A copy of the extension should not be attached to an e-filed return.  Choosing to file an extension electronically does not require you to file your return electronically.

The e-file requirement for large exempt organizations applies to Forms 990 and 990-PF, and does not apply to the extension form.  The extension may be filed electronically or on paper.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 06-Nov-2012