Tax Exempt Organization Search (TEOS) is not updating correctly after an organization submits a name change. When a TEOS user searches for an organization by its new name using “Search All” in the “Select Database” option, the organization’s new name will not appear. (The “Pub 78 Data” option does find the organization by its new name.) We are working to fix this problem. Note: Name changes are updating correctly in the Exempt Organizations Business Master File Extract (EO BMF).
Tax Exempt Organization Search helps users find information about a tax-exempt organization’s federal tax status and filings. You can find:
- Organizations eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions (Pub 78 data).
- Users may rely on this list in determining deductibility of their contributions. (Users may also download a complete list.) Data posting date: 11-12-2018
- Be aware of the following when searching for organizations that can receive tax-deductible contributions:
- Automatically revoked organizations
- By law, tax-exempt status is revoked when an organization does not file required Form 990-series returns or notices annually for three consecutive years. The automatic revocation date listed for each organization is historical; it reflects an organization's effective date of automatic revocation, but not necessarily its current tax-exempt status. The organization may have applied to the IRS for reinstatement of exemption and been recognized by the IRS as tax-exempt after its effective date of automatic revocation. (Users may also download a complete list.) Data posting date: 11-12-2018
- IRS determination letters dated on or after January 1, 2014
- IRS issues a determination letter recognizing an organization as tax-exempt under the sub-section for which it applied. An organization must apply and pay a user fee to receive a determination letter. Note: The May 2018 release of Tax Exempt Organization Search contains a limited number of determination letters. The IRS is in the process of adding letters and expects to have all determination letters issued since January 2014 available soon. Data posting date: 10-11-2018
- Form 990-series returns
- Forms 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF and 990-T (990-T returns for 501(c)(3) organizations only). Initially, the data includes Form 990-series returns filed in January and February 2018. The IRS will add future Form 990-series filed returns monthly. (Users may also download a complete list.)
- Organizations that have filed a Form 990-N (e-Postcard)
- Form 990-N (e-Postcard) is an annual electronic notice most small tax-exempt organizations (annual gross receipts normally $50,000 or less) are eligible to file instead of Form 990 or Form 990-EZ. (Users may also download a complete list.) Data posting date: 11-12-2018
Search Tips for Tax Exempt Organization Search
JAWS Users, please click here.
- Frequently asked questions - Tax Exempt Organization Search Tool
- Revocations of 501(c)(3) Determinations
- Suspensions Pursuant to Code Section 501(p)
- Exempt Organizations Business Master File Extract (EO BMF): a list of organizations recognized as exempt by the IRS