Copies of returns for February and March 2020 are delayed due to technical issues. This alert will be updated when the issue is resolved.
Tax Exempt Organization Search helps users find information about a tax-exempt organization’s federal tax status and filings. You can find:
- Organizations eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions (Pub 78 data).
- Users may rely on this list in determining deductibility of their contributions. (Users may also download a complete list.) Data posting date: 05-11-2020
- Be aware of the following when searching for organizations that can receive tax-deductible contributions:
- Automatically revoked organizations
- By law, tax-exempt status is revoked when an organization does not file required Form 990-series returns or notices annually for three consecutive years. The automatic revocation date listed for each organization is historical; it reflects an organization's effective date of automatic revocation, but not necessarily its current tax-exempt status. The organization may have applied to the IRS for reinstatement of exemption and been recognized by the IRS as tax-exempt after its effective date of automatic revocation. (Users may also download a complete list.) Data posting date: 05-11-2020
- IRS determination letters dated on or after January 1, 2014
- IRS issues a determination letter recognizing an organization as tax-exempt under the sub-section for which it applied. An organization must apply and pay a user fee to receive a determination letter. Data posting date: 05-19-2020
- Form 990-series returns
Forms 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF and 990-T (990-T returns for 501(c)(3) organizations only). (Users may also download a complete list.) Data posting date: 04-17-2020
- Organizations that have filed a Form 990-N (e-Postcard)
- Form 990-N (e-Postcard) is an annual electronic notice most small tax-exempt organizations (annual gross receipts normally $50,000 or less) are eligible to file instead of Form 990 or Form 990-EZ. (Users may also download a complete list.) Data posting date: 05-19-2020
Search Tips for Tax Exempt Organization Search
JAWS Users should visit Tax Exempt Organization Search: Frequently Asked Questions for information on how to use the search tool.
- Frequently asked questions - Tax Exempt Organization Search Tool
- Revocations of 501(c)(3) Determinations
- Suspensions Pursuant to Code Section 501(p)
- Exempt Organizations Business Master File Extract (EO BMF): a list of organizations recognized as exempt by the IRS
- www.StayExempt.irs.gov - Interactive Training for Charities