TEOS Technical Issues
Tax Exempt Organization Search (TEOS) is experiencing the following technical issues, which we are working to resolve quickly:
Incomplete Determination Letters: Due to a programming error, some determination letters uploaded to TEOS are missing the second page of content. This issue does not affect the organization’s exempt status. To get a copy of the complete determination letter, submit Form 4506-A, Request for Public Inspection or Copy of Exempt or Political Organization IRS Form.
Tax Exempt Organization Search helps users find information about a tax-exempt organization’s federal tax status and filings. You can find:
- Organizations eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions (Pub 78 data).
- Users may rely on this list in determining deductibility of their contributions. (Users may also download a complete list.) Data posting date: 02-10-2020
- Be aware of the following when searching for organizations that can receive tax-deductible contributions:
- Automatically revoked organizations
- By law, tax-exempt status is revoked when an organization does not file required Form 990-series returns or notices annually for three consecutive years. The automatic revocation date listed for each organization is historical; it reflects an organization's effective date of automatic revocation, but not necessarily its current tax-exempt status. The organization may have applied to the IRS for reinstatement of exemption and been recognized by the IRS as tax-exempt after its effective date of automatic revocation. (Users may also download a complete list.) Data posting date: 02-10-2020
- IRS determination letters dated on or after January 1, 2014
- IRS issues a determination letter recognizing an organization as tax-exempt under the sub-section for which it applied. An organization must apply and pay a user fee to receive a determination letter. Data posting date: 02-05-2020
- Form 990-series returns
Forms 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF and 990-T (990-T returns for 501(c)(3) organizations only). (Users may also download a complete list.) Data posting date: 01-24-2020
- Organizations that have filed a Form 990-N (e-Postcard)
- Form 990-N (e-Postcard) is an annual electronic notice most small tax-exempt organizations (annual gross receipts normally $50,000 or less) are eligible to file instead of Form 990 or Form 990-EZ. (Users may also download a complete list.) Data posting date: 02-10-2020
Search Tips for Tax Exempt Organization Search
JAWS Users should visit Tax Exempt Organization Search: Frequently Asked Questions for information on how to use the search tool.
- Frequently asked questions - Tax Exempt Organization Search Tool
- Revocations of 501(c)(3) Determinations
- Suspensions Pursuant to Code Section 501(p)
- Exempt Organizations Business Master File Extract (EO BMF): a list of organizations recognized as exempt by the IRS
- www.StayExempt.irs.gov - Interactive Training for Charities