Exempt Organizations Business Master File Extract (EO BMF)
The Exempt Organization Business Master File Extract (EO BMF) includes cumulative information on exempt organizations. The data are extracted monthly and are available by state and region. The files are in comma separated value (CSV) format and can be opened by most computer applications including Excel.
- Download the Excel Viewer.
- For detailed information on the files, including available fields, please review the EO BMF information sheet.
- Questions about tax-exempt organizations or the content of the files? Call TE/GE Customer Account Services at 1-877-829-5500.
- Publication 557, Tax-Exempt Status for Your Organization, has information on rules and procedures for exempt organizations.
Please Note: Programming for the EO BMF was recently updated. Unfortunately, an error occurred when the changes were implemented causing the system to pull incorrect data for the RULING_PRD field. The data in the RULING_PRD field should be disregarded. All entries have a value of 0, instead of the actual ruling date. The problem is expected to be resolved when the April posting is made. We regret any inconvenience this problem may cause users.
Exempt Organizations Business Master File Extracts
Updated data posting date: 3/13/2017 Record Count is 1,620,085
CSV Files by State
International (excluding P.R.) CSV
Puerto Rico CSV
CSV Files by Region
Region 1: Northeast Area.
Region 2: Mid-Atlantic and Great Lakes Areas.
Region 3: Gulf Coast and Pacific Coast Areas.
Region 4: All Other Areas.
- Exempt Organizations Select Check - a cumulative list of organizations eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions, formerly known as Publication 78, in a searchable listing with EINs
- Statistics of Income Annual Extracts of Tax-Exempt Organization Financial Data - expanded financial data on Form 990, 990-EZ and 990-PF filings by active organizations in a given calendar year
- Charitable & Exempt Organizations Statistics - information on other Statistics of Income studies relating to the tax-exempt sector
Disclaimer of Endorsement: Reference above to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, or otherwise, does not constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the Internal Revenue Service.