Exempt Organizations General Issues: Complaints about activities of exempt organizations


Where do I send complaints about the activities/operations of tax-exempt organizations?

If you suspect a tax-exempt organization is not complying with the tax laws, you may send information to the Tax Exempt and Government Entities Division. You may use Form 13909, Tax-Exempt Organization Complaint (Referral) Form PDF, or send the information in letter format, and attach any supporting documentation for this purpose. Form 13909, or complaint letter, can be submitted one of the following ways:

  • Email to eoclass@irs.gov
  • Mail to TEGE Referrals Group, 1100 Commerce Street, MC 4910 DAL, Dallas, TX 75242

In addition to oversight by the IRS, tax-exempt organizations are subject to oversight by State charity regulators and State tax agencies. You may also want to send a copy of the referral you send to us to your state tax agency.

Acknowledgement and Disclosure Prohibition

After a referral is made, we will mail an acknowledgement letter to all non-IRS sources making a referral, unless it was made anonymously. To receive an acknowledgement letter, you must provide your name and return address. We are unable to send acknowledgement letters through e-mail.

We will keep your identify confidential when you make a referral. You won’t receive a status or progress update due to tax return confidentiality under Section 6103 of the Internal Revenue Code.