Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Life Cycle of a Private Foundation: State Charitable Registration and Solicitation

Most states require charitable organizations to register with one or more state agencies. Organizations must typically file reports with the supervising agency, including a copy of IRS Form 990-PF. For more information, including how to determine in which states a foundation may be required to register, see the website of the National Association of State Charity Officials (NASCO).

Private foundations that solicit funds for charitable purposes should be aware that many states have laws regulating this activity. These laws generally require soliciting charities to register with a state agency before soliciting the state's residents for contributions, but also providing exemptions from registration for certain categories of organizations. In addition, organizations may be required to file periodic financial reports.  State laws may impose additional requirements on fundraising activity involving paid solicitors and fundraising counsel. An IRS training document describes these requirements in greater detail. Foundations may wish to contact the appropriate state agency to learn more about the requirements that may apply in their state before soliciting contributions. In some states, municipal or other local governments may also require organizations soliciting charitable contributions to register and report.

State regulation of charitable solicitation and registration requirements to hold charitable assets

To determine in which states you may be required to register to solicit charitable contributions or hold assets subject to a charitable trust, see the NASCO website.



Return to Life Cycle of a Private Foundation