Tackling tax crime together
The Joint Chiefs of Global Tax Enforcement (known as the J5) are committed to combatting transnational tax crime through increased enforcement collaboration. We will work together to gather information, share intelligence, conduct operations and build the capacity of tax crime enforcement officials.
The J5 is comprised of Australian Taxation Office (ATO), the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), the Fiscale Inlichtingen- en Opsporingsdienst (FIOD), HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), and Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigation (IRS-CI). For more information please see the Joint Chiefs of Global Tax Enforcement Successes. Please listen to a podcast with the Chiefs from the U.K, U.S. and Australia.
We are convinced that offshore structures and financial instruments, where used to commit tax crime and money laundering, are detrimental to the economic, fiscal, and social interests of our countries. We will work together to investigate those who enable transnational tax crime and money laundering and those who benefit from it. We will also collaborate internationally to reduce the growing threat to tax administrations posed by cryptocurrencies and cybercrime and to make the most of data and technology.
What We Do
To actively bring about change, the J5 will:
- Develop shared strategies to gather information and intelligence that will strengthen operational cooperation in matters of mutual interest, and target those who seek to commit transnational tax crime, cybercrime and launder the proceeds of crime
- Drive strategies and procedures to conduct joint investigations and disrupt the activity of those who commit transnational tax crime, cybercrime, and also those who enable and assist money laundering
- Collaborate on effective communications that reinforce that J5 is working together to tackle transnational tax crime, cybercrime and money laundering.
The outcome of this active collaboration will see the J5:
- Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- Netherlands - Fiscale Inlichtingen- en Opsporingsdienst (FIOD)
- United Kingdom - HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)
- United States - Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigation (IRS-CI)
- J5 reflects on two-years pursuing global tax cheats (PDF)
- Romanian programmer admits that he helped create BitClub Network, a fraud scheme worth at least $722 million (PDF)
- J5 tax chiefs closing the net on global tax evasion (PDF)
- Arrests made in two investigations into money laundering using cryptocurrencies (PDF)
- Global tax chiefs undertake unprecedented multi-country day of action to tackle international tax evasion (PDF)
- J5 countries host crypto "challenge" in search of tax criminals (PDF)
- J5 Countries host data challenge, close in on enablers of tax evasion (PDF)
- J5 urges private sector to join fight against global tax crime (PDF)
- One year in, J5 making a difference (PDF)