Register for elective payment or transfer of credits


Qualifying businesses, tax-exempt organizations or entities such as state, local and tribal governments can take advantage of certain tax credits even if they don't have taxable income through new elective payment and transfer options. These options can be applied to certain clean energy and manufacturing credits under the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 and CHIPS Act.

To monetize applicable credits, an authorized representative of the entity must:

  • Use this online tool to register the intention to make an elective payment or transfer election
  • Include registration numbers received through this online tool on the entity's tax return

The registration tool is part of the IRS business tax account application. For detailed guidance on how to use the tool, refer to Publication 5884, Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) and CHIPS Act of 2022 (CHIPS) Pre-Filing Registration Tool -- User Guide and InstructionsPDF.

Find more information on whether the entity needs to use this tool based on:

  • Specific credits under the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 and CHIPS Act of 2022
  • Types of entities that can make an elective pay or transfer election

Please check back for information about updated features in this tool.

First time users

Authorize a clean energy account

Returning users

Access a clean energy account

What you need

If you already have an IRS online account, just sign in. Don't create a new account for your entity.

If you're a new user, have your photo identification ready. Verify your personal identity – not the entity’s information.

As an authorized representative, the first time you use the tool for an entity you will need to sign in and provide the following information about the entity to authorize its clean energy account:

  • Employer ID number (EIN)
  • Name and address

Once you sign in, follow the prompts to provide details and documentation to support the credits the entity will report on its tax return. The information required will vary according to the credit(s) the entity will earn.

Who can use this

Only an authorized representative of the entity may use this tool to register and provide information.

Use the entity's EIN

Never use the EIN of any other entity, even if it is closely related. Each entity that will file a return to make an elective payment election or a transfer election must have its own EIN. Refer to Publication 1635, Understanding Your EINPDF, for more information.

When to register

Allow time for the IRS to review your submission. In general, you should register:

  • After placing an investment property or production facility in service, but no earlier than the beginning of the tax period when you earn the credit.
  • At least 120 days before the due date (including extensions) for the return where you report the credits.  Use the form identified in the instructions for your form of annual return to apply for an extension of the time to file your return.

Government entities (including tribal governments) that cannot currently use Form 8868, Application for Extension of Time to File an Exempt Organization Return, to request an extension of the time to file Form 990-T, Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Return, will (at the time they register) receive a paperless automatic 6-month extension of the time to file. They do not need to apply for an extension.   


How many registration numbers? Before you register, read the instructions for the applicable form for the source credit and  Form 3800, General Business Credit , to confirm how many registration numbers the entity needs. The number of registration numbers needed for facility-by-facility reporting varies based on how the entity must compute and report its credits.

Request only as many registration numbers as the entity will need to complete its tax return.