Property (Basis, Sale of Home, etc.)
Question: How do I report the sale of my second residence?
Your second home (such as a vacation home) is considered a personal capital asset. Use Schedule D (Form 1040), Capital Gains and Losses, and Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets, to report sales, exchanges, and other dispositions of capital assets.
- Publication 527, Residential Rental Property (Including Rental of Vacation Homes)
- Instructions for Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets
- Publication 587, Business Use of Your Home
- Tax Topic 409 - Capital Gains and Losses
- Instructions for Schedule D, Capital Gains and Losses
- Tax Topic 703 - Basis of Assets
- Publication 544, Sales and Other Dispositions of Assets
Category: Capital Gains, Losses, and Sale of Home
Subcategory: Property (Basis, Sale of Home, etc.)