IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

For Caregivers

Question: I am a caregiver for my aging parent who lives in my home. May I claim my parent as a dependent on my tax return?


You may claim your parent as a dependent if you meet the following tests:

  1. You are not a dependent of another taxpayer.
  2. Your parent, if married, does not file a joint return.
  3. Your parent is a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, U.S. resident alien, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.
  4. You paid more than half of your parent's support for the calendar year.
  5. Your parent's gross income for the calendar year was less than the exemption amount.
  6. Your parent is not a qualifying child of another taxpayer.

See Table 3-1 in Chapter 3 of Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax for Individuals, "Overview of the Rules for Claiming an Exemption for a Dependent," for additional information about claiming a dependent and the meaning of "qualifying child."

Additional Information:

Category: IRS Procedures
Subcategory: For Caregivers

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224