IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

For Caregivers

Question: My father is suffering from dementia. As a result, I must cash his monthly social security check and use the proceeds for his care. What are the resulting tax consequences?


Your father’s social security benefits are not taxable to you; however, in determining whether your father is your dependent, you should consider the benefits used for your father’s support as support provided by your parent.   

See Publication 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information, for additional information.

Category: IRS Procedures
Subcategory: For Caregivers

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224