IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page


Question: How does my business become an S Corporation?


A corporation, or other business entity that elected to be treated as a corporation (by filing a Form 8832, Entity Classification Election), must use Form 2553, Election by a Small Business Corporation, to make an S corporation election. A business entity treated as a corporation must meet certain tests in order to qualify to be an S corporation. To learn more, see the Instructions for Form 2553 and the Instructions for Form 1120S, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S Corporation.

Category: Small Business, Self-Employed, Other Business
Subcategory: Entities: Sole Proprietor, Partnership, Limited Liability Company/Partnership (LLC/LLP), Corporation, Subchapter S Corporation

Please provide your feedback.

1. Was it easy to find your information within the above Frequently Asked Question?

2. How satisfied are you with the information provided within the above Frequently Asked Question?

3. If you still need help from the IRS, what would your next step be?

The OMB number for this study is 1545-1432.
If you have any comments regarding this study, please write to:
IRS, Tax Products Coordinating Committee
1111 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20224