Get Transcript by Mail Help

Entering Your Address

Generally, the address we have on file is from the most recent tax return you filed. However, the U.S. Postal Service also sends us updates if you've changed your address with them.

The following information should help you correct the most common address entry errors when using Get Transcript by Mail.

Abbreviate directional names such as North, South, East, and West 

Use the following directional abbreviations: 

  • Abbreviate North, South, East, and West as N, S, E, and W
  • Abbreviate Northeast and Northwest as NE and NW
  • Abbreviate Southeast and Southwest as SE and SW


  • Enter 123 North Green Street as 123 N Green St
  • Enter 123 North Green Street Southwest as 123 N Green St SW

Abbreviate Road, Street, Drive, Avenue, etc. 


  • Enter 123 Green Street as 123 Green St
  • Enter 123 South Green Road as 123 S Green Rd
  • Enter 123 Green Drive Northwest as 123 Green Dr NW
  • Enter 123 Green Avenue as 123 Green Ave
  • Enter 123 Green Lane as 123 Green Ln
  • Enter 123 E Street as 123 E St

Entering Post Office Boxes

Enter as PO Box


  • Enter Post Office Box 123 as PO Box 123

ZIP and Postal Code

Enter the Zip or Postal Code currently on file with the IRS. Generally, this is the zip or postal code from your most recent tax return. However, the US Postal Service also sends us updates if you've changed your address with them.

Note: If you live in a country that has no postal code, you won’t be able to order transcripts online. Please contact us at 800-908-9946 if you want to order a transcript. Outside the U.S, call 267-941-1000.

Individual Taxpayer ID Number (ITIN) 

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service.

IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain, a Social Security number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).