This interview will help you determine if you're required to file a nonresident alien tax return or if you should file to receive a refund.
Information You'll Need
- Your lawful permanent resident status for the year.
- Your resident status for the year by days of presence in the U.S.
- Your visa status, if applicable.
- The source of your income.
- Whether U.S. tax payments were made through withholding or estimated payments.
This tool is designed for taxpayers who are nonresident aliens for the entire year. This includes persons claiming a closer connection exception to the substantial presence test and those claiming residence in a foreign country by an income tax treaty.
For information regarding dual status aliens, please see International Taxpayers.
Conclusions are based on information provided by you in response to the questions you answered. Answers do not constitute written advice in response to a specific written request of the taxpayer within the meaning of section 6404(f) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Estimated Completion Time: 15 minutes
Please Note: After 15 minutes of inactivity, you'll be forced to start over.
Caution: Using the "Back" button within the ITA tool could cause an application error.