As a Resident or Nonresident Alien, Am I Required to Obtain a Departure Permit to Leave the United States?


ITA Home

This interview will help a resident or nonresident alien determine if they are required to obtain a departure permit to leave the United States.

Information You'll Need

  • Whether you are a resident or nonresident alien on the day of departure.
  • If you have a requirement to file U.S. tax returns.
  • If you lived in a community property state, and if so, if you are subject to its community property laws.
  • If there are tax treaty benefits between the U.S. and your home country.


Conclusions are based on information provided by you in response to the questions you answered. Answers do not constitute written advice in response to a specific written request of the taxpayer within the meaning of section 6404(f) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Estimated Completion Time: 10 minutes

Please Note: After 15 minutes of inactivity, you'll be forced to start over.

Caution: Using the "Back" button within the ITA tool could cause an application error.