Can I claim my expenses as miscellaneous itemized deductions on Schedule A?


ITA home

This interview will help you determine if you can deduct certain expenses related to producing or collecting taxable income. This topic addresses many of these expenses. It doesn't address employment-related expenses other than expenses for job search, work clothes, uniforms, and union dues. For more information regarding employment-related expenses, refer to Publication 529, Miscellaneous Deductions.

Information You May Need

  • Your adjusted gross income.
  • The type of expense or loss.

The tool is designed for taxpayers who were U.S. citizens or resident aliens for the entire tax year for which they're inquiring. If married, the spouse must also have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire tax year. For information about nonresidents or dual-status aliens, please see International taxpayers.


Conclusions are based on information provided by you in response to the questions you answered. Answers do not constitute written advice in response to a specific written request of the taxpayer within the meaning of section 6404(f) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Estimated completion time: 10 minutes

Please note: After 30 minutes of inactivity, you'll be forced to start over.

Caution: Using the "Back" button within the ITA tool could cause an application error.