Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

U.S. Agent of Foreign Person

Caution should be taken when payments are made to a U.S. agent of a foreign person. Withholding agents who have knowledge that the payee is an agent of a foreign person must treat the payment as made to a foreign person. An exception is made for a payee who is a "financial institution".

Treasury Regulation 1.1441-1(b)(2)(ii) effective for payments made after December 31, 2000 Follows:

Treasury Regulation §1.1441-1. Requirement for the deduction and withholding of tax on payments to foreign persons.

(b)(2)(ii) Payments to a U.S. agent of a foreign person. A withholding agent making a payment to a U.S. person (other than to a U.S. branch that is treated as a U.S. person pursuant to paragraph (b)(2)(iv) of this section) and who has actual knowledge that the U.S. person receives the payment as an agent of a foreign person must treat the payment as made to the foreign person. However, the withholding agent may treat the payment as made to the U.S. person if the U.S. person is a financial institution and the withholding agent has no reason to believe that the financial institution will not comply with its obligation to withhold...

References/Related Topics

Note: This page contains one or more references to Internal Revenue Code (IRC) sections. A link to the Internal Revenue Code is included for the convenience of those who would like to read the technical reference material. To access the applicable Internal Revenue Code sections visit the Tax Code, Regulations, and Official Guidance page.