We made changes to your railroad retirement tax return because we believe there was a miscalculation. You now have an overpayment on your account.
What you need to do
- Read the notice carefully. It explains the changes to your tax account.
- Compare the figures on the notice with your railroad retirement tax return.
- If you disagree with our changes, contact us within 10 days of the date of your notice.
- If you agree with our changes, correct the copy of your railroad retirement tax return that you kept for your records.
- You should receive a refund of any overpayment shortly, as long as you don’t owe additional amounts we're required to collect.
Frequently asked questions
How can I find out what caused my tax return to change?
Call us at the number listed on the top right corner of your notice for specific information about your tax return.
What should I do if I disagree with the changes you made?
Call us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice or write to us within 10 days of the date of the notice. We may be able to reverse the changes.
Tips for next year
Review your return for accuracy before mailing it to us.
- Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer (PDF)
- Publication 15 (Circular E), Employer's Tax Guide (PDF)
- Publication 3498-A, The Examination Process (PDF)
- Publication 594, The IRS Collection Process (PDF)
- Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax (PDF)
- Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request (PDF)
- Notice 746, Information About Your Notice, Penalty and Interest (PDF)
- Full list of tax forms and instructions