IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding Your CP113 Notice

We made changes to your railroad retirement tax return because we believe there was a miscalculation. As a result of these changes, you have an overpayment on your account.

What you need to do

  • Read the notice carefully.
  • Compare the figures on the notice with your railroad retirement tax return.
  • Contact us within 10 days of the date of your notice if you disagree with the changes we made.
  • Correct the copy of your railroad retirement tax return that you kept for your records if you agree with our changes.
  • You should receive a refund of the amount you overpaid as long as you don’t owe any other amounts we are required to collect. You don’t need to do anything.

You may want to

  • Download copies of the following materials (if they weren’t included with your notice).
  • Call 1-800-TAX-FORM to have forms and publications mailed to you.


Answers to Common Questions

Q. How can I find out what caused my tax return to change?

A. You can contact us at the number listed on your notice for specific information about your tax return.

Q. What should I do if I disagree with the changes you made?

A. If you disagree, contact us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice or respond in writing within 10 days of the date of the notice. If your response provides additional information that justifies a reversal of the change, we’ll reverse the change we made to your account. If you agree with the change, update your records. No further action is required.

Q. Will I receive a refund of the amount overpaid?

A. Yes, as long as you don’t owe any other outstanding liabilities we are required to collect and the amount of your refund is $1 or more.


Tips for next year

Review your return for accuracy before mailing it to us.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 22-Jan-2016

How to get help