Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding Your CP115 Notice

What this notice is about

We made changes to your tax return because we found a miscalculation. As a result of these changes, you have an overpayment on your account.

What you need to do

  • Read the notice carefully.
  • Compare the figures on the notice with your tax return.
  • Contact us within 10 days of the date of your notice if you disagree with the changes we made.
  • Correct the copy of your tax return you kept for your records if you agree with our changes.
  • You should receive a refund of the amount you overpaid soon, if you haven’t already, and you owe no additional amounts we are required to collect.

You may want to

  • Download copies of the following materials (if they weren’t included with your notice):

Answers to common questions

How can I find out what caused my tax return to change?

Call us at the toll-free number on your notice for specific information about your tax return.

What should I do if I disagree with the changes you made?

If you disagree, call us at the toll-free number on your notice or write to us at the address on the contact stub within 10 days of the date of the notice. We can reverse the change to your account if your response provides additional information that justifies a reversal. If you agree with the change, you don’t need to do anything; however, you should update your records.

Will I receive a refund of the amount overpaid?

Yes, as long as you owe no other outstanding liabilities we are required to collect and the amount of your refund is $1 or more.

Tips for next year

  • Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes. Learn more about e-file options.
  • Review your return for accuracy prior to mailing it to us.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help