What this notice is about
We made changes to your tax return because we found a miscalculation. As a result of these changes, you have an overpayment on your account.
What you need to do
- Read the notice carefully.
- Compare the figures on the notice with your tax return.
- Contact us within 10 days of the date of your notice if you disagree with the changes we made.
- Correct the copy of your tax return you kept for your records if you agree with our changes.
- You should receive a refund of the amount you overpaid soon, if you haven’t already, and you owe no additional amounts we are required to collect.
You may want to
- Download copies of the following materials (if they weren’t included with your notice):
- Instructions for Form 2290 , for a Form 2290 filing (PDF)
- Instructions for Form 706 , for a Form 706 filing (PDF)
- Instructions for Form 709 , for a Form 709 filing (PDF)
- Form 730 , Monthly Tax Return for Wagers, for general instructions on your Form 730 filing (PDF)
- Form 11-C , Occupational Tax and Registration Return for Wagering, for general instructions on your Form 11-C filing (PDF)
Frequently asked questions
How can I find out what caused my tax return to change?
Call us at the toll-free number on your notice for specific information about your tax return.
What should I do if I disagree with the changes you made?
If you disagree, call us at the toll-free number on your notice or write to us at the address on the contact stub within 10 days of the date of the notice. We can reverse the change to your account if your response provides additional information that justifies a reversal. If you agree with the change, you don’t need to do anything; however, you should update your records.
Will I receive a refund of the amount overpaid?
Yes, as long as you owe no other outstanding liabilities we are required to collect and the amount of your refund is $1 or more.
Tips for next year
- Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes. Learn more about e-file options.
- Review your return for accuracy prior to mailing it to us.