We made changes to your Form 1042, Annual Withholding Tax Return for U.S. Source Income of Foreign Persons, because we found a miscalculation. As a result of these changes, you have an overpayment on your account.
What you need to do
- Read your notice carefully - it will explain why you owe.
- Compare the figures on the notice with your tax return.
- Contact us within 10 days of the date of the notice if you disagree with the changes we made. Please have your account information available when you call.
- Correct the copy of your tax return that you kept for your records if you agree with our changes. Keep this notice for your records.
You may want to
Answers to Common Questions
When will I receive my refund?
You should receive a refund check within 4-6 weeks as long as you don’t owe other tax or debts we’re required to collect.
Will I be paid interest on the amount refunded?
Your refund amount may include interest. Keep in mind that any interest you receive on tax refunds is taxable income in the year you receive it.
Tips for next year
- Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes. You can find information about filing options here.
- Review your return for accuracy before mailing it to us.
Tax publications you may find useful
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF)
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.