Understanding your CP120 Notice

You filed a tax-exempt return, but our records don't show you are tax-exempt.

What you need to do

  • Mail or fax us a copy of the letter we provided you or your parent organization recognizing your tax exempt status.
  • Apply for tax exempt status by completing and submitting the appropriate application and fee.
  • Mail the application and appropriate fee to the address on your notice.

You may want to

Answers to common questions

What if I don't qualify or don't want to apply for tax-exempt status?
You should complete the appropriate federal income tax form.

What if I believe I am tax-exempt and not required to submit an application?
You must show on your annual return the subsection under which you're claiming to be tax-exempt.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Need Help?

  • You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
  • If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.