We made changes to your excise tax return because we believe there was a miscalculation. As a result of these changes, you have a balance due of less than $1.
What you need to do
- Read the notice carefully.
- Compare the figures on the notice with your railroad retirement tax return.
- Contact us within 30 days of the date of your notice if you disagree with the changes we made.
- Correct the copy of your railroad retirement tax return that you kept for your records if you agree with our changes.
- You don’t have to pay if you owe less than $1.
You may want to
- Download copies of the following materials (if they weren’t included with your notice).
- Call 1-800-829-FORM to have forms and publications mailed to you.
Answers to Common Questions
Q. How can I find out what caused my tax return to change?
A. You can contact us at the number listed on your notice for specific information about your tax return.
Q. What should I do if I disagree with the changes you made?
A. If you disagree, contact us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice or respond in writing within 30 days of the date of the notice. If your response provides additional information that justifies a reversal of the change, we’ll reverse the change we made to your account. If you agree with the change, update your records. No further action is required.
Tips for next year
Review your return for accuracy before mailing it to us.
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (.pdf).
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.