Understanding Your CP124 Notice


We made changes to your excise tax return because we believe there was a miscalculation. As a result of these changes, there is a balance due of less than $1.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully — it explains the changes to your tax account. Compare the figures on the notice with your excise tax return.
  • If you disagree with our change(s), contact us within 30 days of the date of your notice.
  • If you agree with our change(s), correct the copy of your excise tax return that you kept for your records.
  • You don’t have to pay if you owe less than $1.

Frequently asked questions

How can I find out what caused my tax return to change?

Please contact us at the toll free number listed on the top right corner of your notice for specific information about your tax return.

What should I do if I disagree with the changes you made?

If you disagree, contact us at the toll free number listed on the top right corner of your notice or respond in writing within 30 days of the date of the notice. If your response provides us with additional information that justifies a reversal of the change, we’ll reverse the change we made to your account. If you agree with the change, please correct your records and no further action is required.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your excise taxes electronically. Filing online can help you to avoid mistakes and to find credits and deductions for which you may qualify. Learn more about e-file.

Need Help?

  • You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
  • If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.