We believe you have miscalculations on your return, and we changed it.
What you need to do
- Compare the figures on your tax return with the figures on the notice.
- Make the changes to your copy of your tax return for your records.
- Contact us in writing within 60 days if you don’t agree with the changes.
You may want to
Call us at the phone number on the notice if you changed your address.
Answers to Common Questions
My overpayment is less than $1. Will you send it to me?
If the overpayment is less than $1, you must request the refund in writing.
What if I don’t agree with the changes?
Contact us within 60 days in writing. We’ll review your information and reverse the changes we made to your account if you can show we made a mistake.
What if I don’t have documentation to justify the reversal of changes?
We will forward the case for audit. The auditor will contact you within 5 to 6 weeks to fully explain the process.
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF).
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.