You are receiving this notice because you didn’t file your return by the due date.
What you need to do
- Send us the amount due by the date on the notice to avoid interest charges.
You may want to
- If you think you may have reasonable cause for filing your return late, you need to provide a signed explanation outlining the circumstances which resulted in not filing your return timely.
- Refer to the “Removal or reduction of penalties” section on your notice.
Answers to Common Questions
Q. What if I disagree with the penalty?
A. Send a written statement outlining the circumstances which resulted in not filing your return timely.
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (.pdf).
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.