Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding Your CP142 Notice

We sent you this notice because you filed your information returns late.

What you need to do

  • You must get an extension of time to file so we can finish processing your returns. To request an extension, send us a letter with the information described in the notice along with a copy of the late return and the notice.
  • You must respond within 30 days from the date of the notice.

Answers to Common Questions

Where should I mail my response?
Mail your statement to the address at the top of the notice.

Can I fax the information?
Yes. You can fax your response to (801) 620-5555. Follow the instructions for the cover sheet as explained on your notice. Please don’t fax and mail your response.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help