Understanding your CP147 notice


What this notice is about

After previously notifying you that we couldn't apply the full amount you requested to the following year's taxes, we are now able to apply an additional part of that amount to your estimated tax.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully. It will show the amount we applied to the following year's taxes. It will also list the payments we've credited to your account for that tax period.
  • You don't need to do anything if you agree with this notice.
  • If you disagree with the notice, contact us at the toll-free number on the top right corner of your notice (within 60 days of the notice date).

You may want to

  • Compare our changes to the information on your tax return.
  • Correct the copy of your tax return that you kept for your records.
  • Compare the payments listed on the notice with your records.
  • Amend your declaration of estimated tax payments.
  • If necessary, adjust this year's estimated tax payments to avoid any possible underpayment.

Frequently asked questions

What should I do if I disagree with the changes you made?

If you disagree, contact us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice.

What do I say when I call the IRS?

Mention that you received a CP 147 notice and you need to review your account with a customer service representative. Be sure to have a copy of your notice and your tax return before you call.

What should I do if I find you misapplied a payment or haven't credited a payment that I made?

Contact us with your information at the toll-free number listed on your notice. Please have your documentation (such as cancelled checks, amended return, etc.) ready when you call. Our representative will discuss the issue with you and give you further instructions.

What if I need to make another correction to my account?

You'll need to file Form 1120-X, Amended U.S. Corporation Income Tax ReturnPDF.

What if I have tried to get answers and after contacting IRS several times have not been successful?

The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is an independent organization within the IRS that can help protect your taxpayer rights. TAS can offer you help if your tax problem is causing a hardship, or you've tried but haven't been able to resolve your problem with the IRS. If you qualify for TAS assistance, which is always free, TAS will do everything possible to help you. Visit Taxpayer Advocate or call 877-777-4778 or TTY/TDD 800-829-4059.

Tips for next year

Make sure that you claim the proper amount of credit on your next tax return. You may need to adjust your estimated tax payments or your federal tax deposits.

Need help?