Understanding your CP153 notice


What this notice is about

We can't provide you with your refund through a direct deposit, so we're sending you a refund check/credit payment by mail.

What you need to do

Your refund should arrive in three to four weeks from the date of your notice. Please call the number listed on your notice if you haven't received your refund check after four weeks.

Frequently asked questions

Why can't the IRS send me a direct deposit refund for my return from two years ago?

A direct deposit refund is only available for this year's return. We mail refund checks for returns from earlier years.

What do I need to do next year to get my refund through a direct deposit?

Complete a Form 8050, Direct Deposit of Corporate Tax RefundPDF and attach it to your return next year when you file your Form 1120, U.S. Corporation Income Tax ReturnPDF, or your Form 1120-S, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S CorporationPDF.

Complete the requested banking information in the "Direct Deposit" section of your tax form the next time you file a Form 8038-CP, Return for Credit Payments to Issuers of Qualified BondsPDF.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Need help?