We applied a payment to your account.
What you need to do
- Review your notice because it provides the date and amount of the payment we applied.
- If your notice shows we owe you a refund, you don’t need to respond. If you haven’t already received the refund, you should receive it within 2-3 weeks.
- If your notice shows an amount due:
You may want to
- Compare your records against the notice figures to ensure the notice is correct.
- Complete and send us a Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative to authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact us on your behalf.
Frequently asked questions
Why did I receive this notice?
You received this notice because we applied a payment to your account.
What should I do if I the wrong payment was applied?
Write to us at the address shown on the notice with the correct actions needed or call us at the telephone number listed on the notice.
Tips for next year
Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.