Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Understanding your CP259G Notice

We sent you this notice because our records indicate you did not file a required Form 1120-POL, U.S. Income Tax Return for Certain Political Organizations.

What you need to do

  • Disregard this notice if you have filed the return within the last four weeks using the same name and EIN listed on the notice.
  • Otherwise, file your required Form 1120-POL immediately according to the instructions on the notice.
    • If you don't think you need to file, complete the Response form enclosed with your notice and mail it to us using the envelope provided.
    • If you filed more than four weeks ago or used a different name or EIN, complete the Response form enclosed with your notice and mail it to us in the envelope provided along with a signed and dated copy of the return.

You may want to

Answers to Common Questions

Which organizations must file a Form 1120-POL?
A political organization, whether or not it is tax-exempt, must file Form 1120-POL if it has taxable income for any year in excess of the $100 specific deduction allowed under section 527. An exempt organization that is not a political organization must file Form 1120-POL if it is treated as having political organization taxable income under section 527(f)(1).

When is Form 1120-POL due?
Form 1120-POL is due by the 15th day of the 3rd month after the end of the tax year. Thus, for a calendar year taxpayer, Form 1120-POL is due on March 15 of the following year. If any due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, the organization can file the return on the next business day.

More information can be found at Political Organizations - Annual Income Tax Returns.

Can I get help over the phone?
If you have questions and/or need help completing the form, please call 1-877-829-5500. Personal assistance is available Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CT.

Where can I go for more information about tax-exempt organizations?
For more information on tax-exempt organizations see Tax Information for Charities & Other Non-Profits.

Tips for next year

Review the political organization resources at Tax Information for Political Organizations.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

How to get help